Friday, November 26, 2010

Christmas Baking 1 Shermay's Cooking School


How time flies!I can hear December is coming along.
I will be teaching at Shermay's Cooking Schoolon the 11th December. This time and the next, they are going to be Christmas baking classes .
This Japanese chestnuts cream roll is my mother's recipe.She baked this cake only for Christmas that for me and for my sisters, it's something special, something we were really looking for.
After havinng grown up(too much), I can make this cake anytime I want to, but I wouldn't- to keep this cake special , only for Christmas.
I am very excited that I will be able to share this recipe with you all.

Honestly, even setting aside my nostalgia, this is one of the best sweets I have learnt from my mother.
Good sponge cake with good chestnuts cream and ganache made with good chocolate. What else do I need more than that?

Every year, she said she was going to make our favorite LOG cake. I know it's radically different from the picture, yes I know.
Every year, she tried to make it into a log shape but as far as I remember, none of the cakes she baked looked like a log.
Don't get me wrong. It's not my mother's fault. It's really hard to make swiss roll into log shape. If you can make it in nice shape,that would be the best though.
Being coward enough, I hardly try to make the cake in a log shape but slicing into individual portions and piping ganache on top then VOILA!
It's much easier to make, safer to keep in the fridge(it's expecially stuffed during Christmas season )and looks neat and cute.
Calpico Blancmange with Red Berry sauce
Sandy Pound Cake.It looks like an ordinary pound cake but it is actually not.
Using a lot of potato starch, its taxture is something you never tried before- A bit dry and sandy in a good sense of course.
Caramel crisps;this cookies are good enough to eat as it is. With or without icing. But of course for christmas, you can make them into more merry looks.
Like this.
As bonus recipes:1 Lemon Honey thins(you can create new flavor and different texture using the same technique )
2Apple Cinnamon Square Cake this is one of the easiest recipes I have.It uses no butter, a lot of apples. Easy,healthir and shockingly tasty.This is a must try at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment